Monday, December 04, 2006

Advent, Week 1: Monday

Recommended readings from the first Sunday of Advent (from the Revised Common Lectionary):

Jeremiah 33:14-16
Psalm 25:1-10

1 Thessalonians 3:9-13
Luke 21:25-36


Psalm 25 discusses the humility necessary to live in right relationship with God. Reading this Psalm responsively in worship yesterday brought home to me the truth of this principle. God desires to lead us in the way we should go, but we must be willing to be led. Not by pet theologies, not by self-designated human "leaders," not by our own plans and purposes, but by no one less than the Holy One who created and loves us.

Part of the "house cleaning" time of Advent is to sweep out the self-worship that is at the heart of all sin. Really, that's key: who's on the throne of my life, me or God? If I occupy that throne, there's no way God can lead me. If God occupies it, however, even if progress seems slow, I will be walking in God's way. Sooner or later, the growth I seek will be evident.

I intend to focus today on the details of everyday living, asking myself this question: "Who, or what, is directing my action in this specific matter?" Come to think of it, that can be a good form of prayer. God will reveal the true answer, without fail.

May you--and I--walk with God this day and all our days.

No comments: