Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the liturgical season of Lent. As I begin my own observance of Lent, I have decided to at least try to post something each day out of my personal experience of the season.

We had a simple service that included the Imposition of Ashes this evening. Our Informal Service music team presented "Above All," and as the service ended, I sang the late Rich Mullins' "Jesus." Here is an excerpt of the lyrics:

. . . .
Jesus, they say You spoke and calmed an angry wave,
That was tossed across a stormy sea;
Please teach me how to listen, how to obey
'Cause there's a storm inside of me

Jesus, write me into Your story;
Whisper it to me,
And let me know I'm Yours
. . . .

I encourage you to follow the link above; scroll down past the "advertising" to the actual text of this remarkable song. If you have never listened to Mullins' last project, the "Jesus Record," buy it (download or CD). I'm not a huge CCM fan, but this album is one of my favorites of any genre. The texts and music (though not necessarily all the performances) are that good.

The song begins by asking Jesus to teach me how to walk as he did, because I want to walk with him. That, above all else, is my prayer this Lent. And as I see it, that's a thoroughly dangerous prayer, if I really mean what I say. I can't pray to walk as Jesus walked, without being changed.

No comments: