Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Lent: Day 24

Scripture: Isaiah 45

" 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. . . . You are my witnesses,' says the LORD, 'and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. . . . Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing . . . I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins. . . .' "

Hymn: "How Firm a Foundation," UMH 529
"K" in Rippon's Selection of Hymns, 1787

". . . 'Fear not, I am with the, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen and help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.' . . .
"

Prayer:

Called by name! O loving God, you know my name!

I want to follow you, dear God, wherever you lead me. I give you myself, including my darkest fears, and trust you to use my life in the way that pleases you most.

I ask only that you keep calling my name, God. I belong to you.

2 comments:

Cynthia Kunsman said...

Psalmist,

Cindy K here from over at TW. I can't tell you how much this Lenten Scripture minstered to me today. It was remarkably relavent.

If the Spirit so moves you, please keep my family and me in your prayers this week. It is eventful and both bitter and sweet. But God is doing mighty things and I am blessed at this encouragement.

Thank you for posting this!

Psalmist said...

Absolutely, I'll be praying for you and your family, Cindy.

I'm very glad today's reading blessed you. God is so amazing that way. I compiled these readings and and wrote the corresponding prayers back in February, 2001. It was just the one that came up for this day of Lent.

FWIW, this Scripture passage is one of my top five most meaningful thus far in my life. We may have some things in common.

Whatever is happening, I pray that you are safe within the Almighty's powerful, loving arms and take comfort in God's presence with you. You are NOT alone!