Thursday, March 29, 2007

Lent: Day 32

Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone?

Text: St. 1 - Thomas Shepherd, 1693; St. 2 - Unattrib.; St. 3 - George N. Allen, 1844; St. 4-5 - Henry W. Beecher, 1855

Tune: MAITLAND, George N. Allen, 1844

Must Jesus bear the cross alone,
And all the world go free?
No, there’s a cross for everyone,
And there’s a cross for me.

How happy are the saints above,
Who once went sorrowing here!
But now they taste unmingled love,
And joy without a tear.

The consecrated cross I’ll bear
Till death shall set me free;
And then go home my crown to wear,
For there’s a crown for me.

Upon the crystal pavement down
At Jesus’ piercèd feet,
Joyful I’ll cast my golden crown
And His dear Name repeat.

O precious cross! O glorious crown!
O resurrection day!
When Christ the Lord from Heav’n comes down
And bears my soul away.

No comments: