Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lent: Day 1 (Ash Wednesday)

Scripture: Psalm 51

"Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. . . . a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." (NRSV)

Hymn: "Be Thou My Vision," UMH 451
Ancient Irish hymn, translated by Mary E. Byrne, versed by Eleanor H. Hull, 1912

"Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart . . .
Thou my best thought, by day or by night . . .
. . . Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all."

Prayer:

O God of new beginnings and second chances, accept this broken heart of mine. You made it, you know it through and through, and it belongs to you. Mend my broken places and make me clean again. Accept my tiny sacrifices as I learn to make the only one you truly desire: my life in all its fullness.

Walk this journey of Lent with me, O Savior, leading me where you walked so long ago. Guide me by your Holy Spirit as I seek your narrow way.

No comments: